Monday, March 19, 2012

Identity

The constant struggle of the self is to find who we are. The events of our lie and the way we present ourselves in public work together to build this construct. But what happens when you loose a brick in the foundation? How do you cope with the lose? Do you leave it be and allow the weather and pests to seep into your foundation? or do find a new brick to fill the whole?

I ask these questions because for the past 2 years I have used my gauged earrings as a small outward expression of my self. A gesture that even though I may conform to to social norms there is still part of me which wishes to rebel. By accident though, the one is now damaged and cannot be replaced. What do I do? Do I get rid of the other one to create symmetry? Or do I let the broken whole heal and start over from scratch on it?

A trivial thing to some, but it raises some interesting thoughts about how we define ourselves to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment