Thursday, November 12, 2009

Life- a short philosophy


There has always been the question of what separates man from the other animals on this planet. Is it the way we interact or is it the measure of our civilizations? I view it as neither. What separates us is our desire for life, self preservation. I started to think about this when I walked into an eating area at my school. There was a pretty good sized group sitting on the one end of the room watching a slide show, every now and then someone would stand up, walk up to the mic and say a few words regarding cancer. This group of people called themselves Colleges Against Cancer. It got me thinking... is it really the college fighting cancer? Or is this an embodiment of mankind's struggle with this natural phenom. If the later is truly what I witnessed it raises the question of why does mankind strive for life? Those of religious background should not fear death but embrace it and trust in their faith to carry them to salvation. But I feel this way of thinking has passed. In today's society of medicine and idealism we strive to survive through science... no longer do we leave the continuation of life to faith and religion. This torch has been passed on to test tubes and experiments. So what makes us human? I feel it is our desire for immortality.

No comments:

Post a Comment